/* Begin Common Code>
/* End Common Code>
Hellhole Biology Facts
-Division of Natural Resources data
* The cave is one of the largest hibernation sites for Virginia Big-Eared Bats (Plecotus townsendii virginianus) in the world. There are presently 9000 Big-Ears in the cave, with a total population of about 20,000 in the world. Thus, Hellhole contains about 45% of the world's total population. The Virginia Big-Ear Bat is a federally-endangered species.
* The cave is the largest hibernation site in the Mid-Atlantic region for Indiana Bat (Myotis sodalis). The cave contains about 9000 of these bats, and there is no other cave within the region that even comes close to the same population. The Indiana Bat is a federally-endangered species.
* The cave is one of the largest hibernation sites for Little-Brown Bats (Myotis lucifugus) )in the world. It contains over an estimated 100,000 bats; only a couple of sites in the world are larger.
* The cave is also home to a scattering of other bat species.
* The cave contains two rare cave invertebrates, both of which are millipedes. One is the Germany Valley Cave Millipede and the other Luray Caverns Blind Cave Millipede.